0:00 / 3:59
0:00 / 4:05
New Irish Barn Dance 4:220:00 / 4:22
0:00 / 5:03
JOHN SHERMAN & RANDY CLEPPER | PRESS KIT
John Sherman and Randy Clepper are two acclaimed performers of Irish traditional music from central Ohio. Both are consummate multi-instrumentalists, and together they perform arranged Irish and Celtic tunes on fingerstyle guitar, bouzouki, and tenor banjo. John and Randy’s latest recording, “Finally Tuned”, has been described as "a fine and finely tuned album that is intricate in its arrangement and delivery" (TradConnect.com, Ireland) and was ranked in the top 10 in three instrumental and traditional album categories in 2013 by Folk Festival, WDCB Public Radio, Chicago. John and Randy were featured as Official Showcase Artists at the 2017 Southeast Regional Folk Alliance (SERFA) in Montreat, NC, Quad Showcase Artists at the 2014 Northeast Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) in New York and as Performance Lane Showcase Artists at Folk Alliance Regional Midwest (FARM) in 2013. Regular performers for over a decade at the Dublin Irish Festival, Dublin, Ohio, they have appeared on WYSO’s Dear Green Place and are frequently featured on WCBE’s Toss the Feathers.
- Bio (short, 150 words)
- Bio (medium, 275 words)
- Bio (long, with Gina Clepper)
- Stage Plot / Sound Rider
- Randy Clepper official website (www.randyclepper.com)
- John Sherman official website (www.jjshermanmusic.com)
2017 Southeast Regional Folk Alliance (SERFA) Official Showcase Artists
2014 Northeast Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) Quad Showcase Artists
2013 Folk Alliance Regional Midwest (FARM) Performance Lane Artists
2012 North American Irish and Celtic Festival Organizers (NAICFO) Conference
CD "Finally Tuned"
"#3 Top Fave Instrumental Albums of 2013 ("Finally Tuned")
#2 Top Fave Traditional Albums of 2013 ("Finally Tuned")
#10 Top Fave Instrumentals of 2013" ("Behind the Haystack / ...", album "Finally Tuned")
- Lilli Kuzma, Folk Festival on 90.9FM WDCB Public Radio, Chicago
"The bouzouki isn’t simply restricted to a thundering accompaniment and Clepper’s style is a fine one to try if you are new to the zouk. The tenor banjo playing is direct and forthright, as they say in the USA, Sherman owns the music.""As anyone who has heard Irish music in Ohio knows, it is high calibre without being high velocity, and Clepper and Sherman hit the target every time in this album."
Seán Laffey - Editor, Irish Music Magazine, Dublin, Ireland Read full review
External links to source articles:
"a remarkably accomplished recording."
"exquisite delivery with plenty in the way of texture and emotion."
"a fine and finely tuned album that is intricate in its arrangement and delivery"
"It's a couple of musicians sitting down playing some technically challenging tunes that are firmly rooted in traditional music."
Tony Lawless - TradConnect.com, Ireland Read full reviews
- TradConnect.com: First Listen : "Finally Tuned" - Dec 9, 2013
- TradConnect.com: Interview with Randy Clepper, "Finally Tuned" - Jul 8, 2014
- TradConnect.com: Album Review - Finally Tuned - Jun 9, 2014
- Acoustic Live! 2014 NERFA (Northeast Regional Folk Alliance) Conference Scrapbook
- "The Dear Green Place", Cindy Funk WYSO Radio, Yellow Springs, Ohio - on-air interview with performances (length: ~1 hour)
- Celtic Music Lab Podcast, 2016 Dublin Irish Festival - interview begins around 29:50-minute mark